There are many different reasons you may need a crown. A crown (sometimes referred to as a “cap”) is like a helmet that fits perfectly on top of your tooth to protect it.
Below are the top 5 reasons why we recommend crowns for our patients:
1. Large Cavity: If a cavity is too large, there may not be enough tooth structure remaining to hold a normal filling. Your tooth is very hard- but it is also brittle, like glass. So when your tooth becomes too thin in any area, it could fracture just like glass.
2. Following a Root Canal Treatment: This is especially true in teeth that have a root canal treatment. After the root canal, a tooth loses all of its moisture and becomes even more brittle and weak. We always include a crown in any treatment plan that involves root canal treatment to give a tooth its best chance of survival.
3. Replace a large filling (or amalgam filling): A filling can also be too large or contain amalgam (silver-colored filling). Every time a filling is replaced, more of your tooth needs to be removed. At a certain point, not enough of your actual tooth is left to be strong enough to hold a filling, so a crown is needed.
4. Fractured Tooth: Your tooth may already be fractured, or cracked. If you shine a light from behind your front teeth and look in the mirror, you may see a line going from the top to the bottom of a tooth. This could be a fracture. If it is, it will continue to get deeper and deeper as you bite down on the tooth or chew food. The only way to stop the fracture from growing over time is to protect the tooth with a crown.
5. Straighter, white smile: You may just want your front teeth to match, or be a little straighter or whiter. Your smile is the first thing most people see, so aesthetic crowns can be an option to help you make a good first impression.
A crown is one of the longest-lasting treatments you can have in your mouth, and is just as easy to keep clean as your normal teeth. Crowns look nice and add strength to your teeth. Plus, who doesn’t want to feel like a queen or king?!
Call or text us today at 941-254-2595 if you think you need a crown!