Porcelain bridges are a popular option for replacing missing teeth, as they are durable, natural-looking, and easy to care for. If you’re considering this treatment option, it’s important to understand the facts about porcelain bridges. In this article, we’ll provide helpful facts about porcelain bridges, how they’re made, and how to take care of them.
What Are Porcelain Bridges?
Porcelain bridges, or porcelain dentures, are made of a combination of porcelain and metal. The metal is used to provide support and strength to the bridge, while the porcelain is used to create a natural-looking tooth that blends in with the rest of your teeth.
How Are Porcelain Bridges Made?
Porcelain bridges are custom-made to fit the individual patient’s mouth. The process of making a porcelain bridge typically takes two or three visits to the dentist.
During the first visit, the dentist will take impressions of the patient’s teeth, which are used to create a model of the mouth. The dentist will also prepare the abutment teeth, which are the surrounding teeth where the bridge will be cemented. The abutment teeth are prepared by removing a small amount of enamel to make room for the bridge.
The impressions and preparation of the abutment teeth will be used to create a detailed blueprint of the patient’s mouth and the bridge. This blueprint is then sent to a dental lab where the bridge is custom-made using porcelain and metal materials.
During the second visit, the patient will be fitted with a temporary bridge to wear while the permanent bridge is being made. The temporary bridge will help the patient to eat and speak normally and also protect the prepared abutment teeth.
At the final visit, the permanent bridge will be fitted and adjusted for a perfect fit. The bridge is then cemented onto the abutment teeth, completing the process. The dentist will make any final adjustments to the bridge to ensure that it is comfortable and that the bite is correct.
It’s important to note that the process may vary slightly depending on the specific case and the dentist. The dentist may use digital technology or 3D printing to produce the bridge or may use a different procedure if the patient has certain medical conditions.
Benefits of Having Porcelain Fixed Bridge Teeth
Porcelain bridges are a popular option for replacing missing teeth because of their many benefits, including the following:
- Aesthetics: They are made of a combination of porcelain and metal, which creates a natural-looking tooth that blends in with the rest of your teeth. The porcelain is color-matched to the surrounding teeth, and the bridge can be shaped and contoured to match the patient’s natural teeth. This allows for a very natural-looking and seamless appearance.
- Durability: Porcelain bridges are strong and durable and can last for several years with right care and maintenance. They are a great option for people who need to replace one or more missing teeth, as they provide a long-lasting solution. The use of a metal substructure gives the bridge strength and durability.
- Functionality: They can help to restore the function of missing teeth, allowing patients to eat and speak normally. The bridge replaces the missing tooth or teeth, which helps to distribute the bite force evenly across the jaw.
- Preservation of remaining teeth: They can help to prevent remaining teeth from shifting out of position, which can cause bite problems and other issues. When a tooth is missing, the surrounding teeth may shift and move toward the space, which can cause changes in the bite and jaw joint.
- Easy to care for: Porcelain bridges are easy to care for, similar to natural teeth. You simply need to brush and floss your teeth daily and visit your dentist for regular check-ups and cleanings.
- Non-removable: They are cemented onto the surrounding teeth, which means they are non-removable, unlike dentures. This allows the patient to have a more permanent solution to missing teeth and not have to worry about removing the bridge for cleaning or other reasons.
- Cost-effective: They are cost-effective compared to other options like implant-supported bridges. They are a more affordable option for patients who need to replace multiple missing teeth or who may not be candidates for dental implants.
Reasons to Get Porcelain Fixed Bridges
A porcelain fixed bridge may be required in several situations, such as:
- Missing one or more teeth: A porcelain fixed bridge can be used to replace one or more missing teeth, allowing patients to eat and speak normally.
- To maintain the natural appearance of the teeth: It can be used to restore the appearance of missing teeth by creating a natural-looking and seamless replacement.
- To preserve remaining teeth: It can help to prevent remaining teeth from shifting out of position, which can cause bite problems and other issues.
- To improve oral function: It can improve the function of the teeth, jaw, and bite. Missing teeth can cause changes in the bite and jaw joint, which can lead to problems in chewing and speaking.
- To prevent further dental issues: A porcelain fixed bridge can help to prevent further dental issues, such as tooth decay and periodontal disease, that can happen as a result of missing teeth.
- To avoid removable options: The porcelain crowns are cemented onto the surrounding teeth, which means they are non-removable, unlike dentures. Some patients may prefer a more permanent solution to missing teeth and don’t want to worry about removing the bridge for cleaning or other reasons.
Porcelain fixed bridges are an effective and economical solution for replacing missing teeth. They can help to restore the appearance, function, and health of the teeth and jaw, while preventing further dental issues. The use of a metal substructure allows for increased strength and durability, making them a great option for people who need to replace one or more missing teeth. With proper care and maintenance, porcelain fixed bridges can last for many years. Talk to your dentist to determine if a porcelain fixed bridge is the right option for you.
Parkwood Dental offers crowns and bridges to help restore your smile while improving the functionality of your teeth. If you’re looking for a trusted dental office in Bradenton, we’re your best choice. Schedule your appointment today!